Share and Enjoy
Everyone loves a good meatball. Well, maybe not everyone but most do. Just think how much better a good plate of spaghetti is with a hearty meatball along for the ride. My family is no exception to this-they LOVE meatballs. I’ve made them over the years using beef, sausage and veal in differing amounts, but a couple of years ago I was trying to lose weight and tried them using ground turkey. I was expecting “yuck dad, what’s wrong with these” but got a completely different response. They liked them far better with the turkey and from then on I’ve been happy to oblige them. So being that I’m pressed for time today, I’ll keep it short and get to the recipe. Enjoy!
I started by adding to my food processor 1 medium onion roughly diced, 1/2 bunch fresh Italian parsley(flat leaf), 6 garlic clove roughly cut up, 3 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes. I pulsed them until they were finely minced and with the back of a spatula pressed on the solids to squeeze excess moisture out then poured that off.
In a large bowl I mixed together a 20 ounce package of ground turkey (93/7 fat blend), the reserved minced onion mix, 4 large pinches of kosher salt, 1 cup grated parmesan, 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs and 3 beaten eggs. Sorry for the bland photo. The days have been dreary and overcast here lately and it’s just horrible for taking photos.
I formed the mixture into 2 inch meatballs and placed them on lightly grased sheet pan then spray some more cooking spray over the top to help them brown. I baked them in a 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.
And this is what you end up with. Although they’re a little goopy originally when you form them, after they’ve cooked they firm up nicely but are still very moist. From here you can serve as is or add them to a marinara sauce such as mine. See My Basic Marinara. Enjoy!
- 1 medium onion diced
- ½ bunch fresh Italian parsley(flat leaf)
- 6 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 3 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 20 ounce package ground turkey(93/7 fat ratio)
- 4 pinches kosher salt
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- 1¼ cup fresh bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- 3 eggs beaten
- Add the onion, parsley, garlic, dried herbs and pepper flakes to a food processor and pulse until finely minced. Using a spatula, press the mix to release excess moisture and pour it off. In a large bowl add the turkey, onion mix, salt, parmesan, breadcrumbs and egg then thoroughly mix together.
- Grease a sheet pan with cooking spray and form the minture into 2 inch balls and place them on the pan. Spray the tops with cooking spray. You should get about 15 meatballs. Bake them in a 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.