Share and Enjoy
Anyone who knows me is well aware I’m not a huge dessert person. If I do I have dessert, it’s normally fresh fruit with angel food cake and some whipped cream and little else. Oh sure I have the occasional ice cream or cake but only if it involves eating it and not making it. So when I came home from the farmers’ market yesterday with fresh strawberries (among many other things) and told my wife I was going to make a tart for dessert she was a little surprised to say the least. Being the wonderfully supportive wife that she is, she assured me it would turn out great; all the while in the back of her head wondering-does he even know how to make a tart? After all them had been scarfed down while we watched our family movie “Scooby Doo”, I guess she realized I could. Enjoy!
I started by defrosting one roll of puff pastry (from a 17.3 ounce box that contained two rolls) for 40 minutes at room temperature. I lightly dusted my counter and rolled out the pastry to about a 12 x 12 inch square and then cut that into four 6 inch squares and preheated my oven to 400 degrees.
I whisked together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl. I brushed the egg wash a 1/2 inch around the whole square then folded the 1/2 inch over to form a rim and pressed down. I brushed the top of the edges again with the egg wash and sprinkled turbinado sugar over that. I poked holes with a fork all over the bottom to keep it from rising too much.
I spread about 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam over the top and popped them in the oven for 15 minutes poking the centers with a fork after the first 10 minutes to deflate them again.
I whipped together 8 ounces softened cream cheese, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice until well combined.
I removed the tarts from the oven and spread some of the cheese mixture over each tart and then put them back in the oven for 10 more minutes.
I removed them to a wire rack to cool and topped with the fresh strawberries. Enjoy!
- 1 roll puff pastry thawed for 40 minutes from a 17.3 ounce box
- 1 pound strawberries halved
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- Turbinado sugar
- 8 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 8 ounces cream softened cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the stems form the strawberries and cut in half. Mix them with the 2 teaspoons sugar and set aside.
- Lightly flour your counter and roll out the puff pastry to a 12x12 inch square then cut that into four 6 inch squares. Brush the ½ inch around the outer edge of each square with the egg wash. Fold that ½ inch edge over and press down to form a rim. Brush the top of the rim again with the egg wash and sprinkle some turbinado sugar on top of that. Poke the entire center area with a fork to prevent it from rising so much.
- Spread 2 tablespoons strawberry jam over the center then bake in the oven for 15 minutes poking the centers with a fork after the first 10 minutes to deflate them.
- Beat together the cream cheese, 3 tablespoons sugar, vanilla and lemon juice in a bowl.
- Remove the tarts and spread the cheese mixture over the center of each and bake an additional 10 minutes. Remove them to a wire rack when done to cool, then top with the reserved cut strawberries. Enjoy!