Share and Enjoy
After all the Mexican food and braised pork the last few days, I was in the mood for some pasta. But what kind? That’s the real trick in cooking for a family; creating something everyone will eat and yet having variety to keep it interesting for me. So when deciding what kind of sauce to have with the pasta, I had to think about what we hadn’t had in awhile. The first thing I decided was I wanted no meat in it. We’d had alot of meat lately and I just didn’t feel like it. So that ruled out Bolognese and other Ragú. After rumaging through the refridgerator for ideas, I spotted some capers and Kalamata olives and dinner was set-Puttanesca. I knew it wouldn’t please everyone (my daughter doesn’t like those olives), but hey, they could pick out what they don’t like. Enjoy!
I started by dicing 1/2 an onion, slicing 4 garlic cloves, and slicing 2/3 cup Kalamata olives.
I added 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and cooked the onions for about 5 minutes then added the garlic and cooked for another 3 minutes until softened.
I added 5 minced anchovy filets and 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes and cooked another 3 minutes.
I added a 28 ounce can whole plum tomatoes including the liquid that I crushed finely with my hands before adding, the sliced olives, 2 tablespoons capers(I used the smaller non-pareil that I rinsed). I let it simmer uncovered for 20 minutes on low then added 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil and cooked for 5 more minutes. I dropped my pasta(I had some fettucini here) in salted boiling water until just underdone, drained and reserved 1 1/2 cups pasta water. In a small fry pan over medium heat, I added a teaspoon of olive oil, a ladle of sauce and some pasta. I added about 1/4 cup of pasta water, 1 tablespoon butter and stirred it all together until the sauce had slightly thickened back up and then plated.
And this was the final dish. That’s a whole lot of goodness. Enjoy!
- 1 pound pasta cooked al dente
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 5 anchovy filets minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes with juice crushed by hand
- ⅔ cup olives sliced preferably Kalamata
- 2 tablespoons capers (non-pereil) rinsed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped basil
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a deep pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Add the anchovies and crushed red pepper and cook for 2 minutes. Finely crush the tomatoes by hand into the pot then add the olives and capers and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Add the basil and cook for 5 more minutes until done.