Share and Enjoy
Nectarines and other stone fruits are everywhere right now. Every grocery store I wander into seems to have piles of them and at great prices too. That’s how this salad came to be. I’ve actually had the idea of making this salad for a few weeks-even bought the ingredients numerous times. But life gets in the way sometimes…and family members eat the ingredients. Really son? I could never get you to try a nectarine before and now you eat two. Oh well, at least he now likes nectarines.
After getting my ingredients this time and fiercly protecting them from prying hands and stomachs, I was finally able to make this. I thought the combination would be good, but even I was surprised at how good the flavors worked together. Enjoy!
I started with the dressing. To a bowl I added 1 cup mayo, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream, 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, 1/4 teaspoon each of dried dill, garlic powder, onion powder and kosher salt along with 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper then stirred to combine. Feel free to sub 1/2-3/4 teaspoon of fresh dill for the dried-I just didn’t have any fresh.
This is what you get. I put it in the fridge for about an hour to cool but the flavors are best if left overnight. This makes more than you’ll need for this salad but I’m sure your creative minds will find other uses for it.
I got out my salad ingredients but forgot to include the bacon in this photo – I’m such a dork. I had leftover bacon from breakfast and used that in it as well. This goes together really fast. I cut the tomatoes into large chunks, sliced up the nectarines (eating some of the slices and using about 1 1/2), sliced up about 1/4 of a red onion, roughly tore some fresh basil into pieces, broke 3 slices of bacon into large pieces and got about 1/4 cup of crumbled gorganzola from the container. This was enough for 2 salads with a 1/4 cup of the dressing drizzled over.
And this is the result. Wow this was good! Enjoy!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley (flat leaf)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- ¼ teaspoon dried dill or ¾ teaspoon fresh
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 nectarines sliced
- 2 heirloom tomatoes cut into large chunks
- ¼ red onion sliced
- small handfull basil torn into large pieces
- 3 slices cooked bacon broken into large pieces
- ¼ cup crumbled gorganzola
- ¼ cup herb ranch dressing from above
- Stir all the dressing ingredients in a bowl to combine then refrigerate for at least 1 hour or preferably overnight for the flavors to meld. Arrange the salad ingredients on 2 plates and drizzle with the dressing.