Share and Enjoy
Although not the healthiest dish, sometimes you just gotta have some good ‘ol mac n cheese. I will admit I’m kind of a snob when it comes to this dish. I’ve tried numerous recipes and found them to be lacking in one way or another (some quite a bit more so than others). I always end up back to my own. It took many trial and errors to get what I think is the best. Gooey, creamy and of course cheesy. Kind of similar to what this post is sounding like right now. Oh well, can’t help it. Any variety of cheese works as long as one is cheddar-that’s a must! This makes alot; so just halve it to make less. Enjoy
Cheesy Mac n cheese
- 7 tablespoons butter-divided
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 ounces grated fontina cheese
- 16 ounce large elbow macaroni
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 6 ounces grated extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces grated jarlsberg cheese
- 4 ounces grated gruyere or emmantaler cheese
- 3 ounces grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon creole seasoning
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter over low heat in a medium saucepan. Add the flour and whisk constantly for 3 mins. Increase the heat to medium and slowly whisk in the milk and cream. Cook for about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the white pepper, nutmeg and season with a pinch of salt. Add the fontina and slowly whisk until thoroughly combined-about 6-7 minutes. Season with 7 dashes of Tobasco sauce, cover and set aside.
- Cook macaroni in salted (2 tablespoons) water for 5 mins then drain. Add 2 tablespoons butter to the empty pot over low heat and add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute then add the pasta back in. Stir to coat the pasta then add the reserved cheese sauce to the pasta and stir to combine.
- Grease a 9x13 glass pan with the remaing tablespoon of butter. Pour 1/3 of the pasta into the pan and spread evenly. Toss the cheddar, jarlsberg, gruyere and 3 ounces of parmesan together in a bowl. Spread 1/3 of the cheese over the pasta. Repeat 2 more times with the pasta and cheese layers. Mix the bread crumbs, 3 tablespoons parmesan and creole season together then sprinkle over the top. Bake uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes till the top just starts to lightly brown. Stuff your face. Enjoy!