Share and Enjoy
I’m not a huge breakfast person, so when I do sit to one I like it to be something I crave. Huevos Rancheros is probably my favorite breakfast indulgence. It’s hearty, packed with flavor and there’s something about the creaminess of the soft yoke blending with the salsa, crisp tortilla and spicy sausage that just gets me. Normally the tortillas are only fried for about 30 seconds to basically soften them and the addition of chorizo is definitely not authentic, but since this is my site-I make it how I like it. Enjoy!
I started by brushing both sides of 4 corn tortillas with oil, placing them on a sheet pan and baking them at 475 degrees for 8 minutes turning once until they crisped up but still had some tooth to them. When they were done I removed them to a plate.
I diced 1 onion (I had 1/2 a white and 1/2 a red in the fridge), 2 jalapenos and minced 2 garlic cloves.
I added 2 teaspoons oil to a pan over medium heat and added the chopped veggies along with 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro and 2 pinches of kosher salt. I let this simmer for about 12 minutes.
I cooked 1/4 pound of chorizo over medium for about 8 minutes until done breaking up the large pieces with the back of a wooded spoon. I pan fried 4 eggs on one side with a little oil until the whites were set and the yoke was still runny without turning. I placed 2 tortillas on each plate, topped each tortilla with an egg, divided the chorizo on top, poured the hot salsa over and sprinkled the top with shredded jack and queso fresco.
And this was the result-a fantastic breakfast. Enjoy!
- 4 corn tortillas
- oil for coating
- 1 onion diced
- 2 jalapenos diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- ¼ pound chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 4 eggs
- shredded jack and queso fresco cheese for garnish
- Heat the oven to 475 degrees. Coat both sides of the tortillas with oil and palce on a sheet pan. Cook for about 8 minutes until crisp then place two tortillas on 2 plates.
- Add 2 teaspoons oil to a fry pan over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeno, garlic, diced tomatoes and cilantro and simmer for about 12 minutes.
- Cook the chorizo in a pan over medium heat for about 8 minutes breaking up large chunks with the back of a spoon.
- Pan fry 4 eggs over medium low heat with a little oil just until the whites are set and the yoke is still runny about 4 minutes.
- Place the eggs on top of the tortillas, divide the chorizo evenly, pour the hot salsa over the top and garnish with a little of the cheeses.