Share and Enjoy
So it was another night of grilling here in Southern California because it was just too darn hot to cook inside. This time it was steak and chicken breast that I had in the freezer. The recipe for the steak will follow soon but I just had to get this salsa on here. It paired great with both and was a refreshing addition to the meal. The smoke flavor from the grill really changes the flavor of both the mango and the avocado. While Mexican food purists would probably poo poo on the idea of grilling an avocado, I cannot say enough about trying it. Enjoy!
I started by peeling a mango, then standing it on end I sliced down both flat sides of the seed to get 2 big slices. I cut the remaining mango from the seed and diced it up as it was unable to be grilled. Make sure to pick a ripe mango that is still firm enough for grilling. I cut 2 large slices of red onion and halved 1 avocado (removing the seed but leaving the skin on). I cut the stem off a jalapeno and cut down one side, removing the seeds and then pressing it flat to open it up. I brushed everything with a little olive oil and seasoned with 1/4 teaspoon of New Mewico chile powder.
First off- sorry for the horrible picture but this was the best one. I heated my grill to medium high then placed the ingredients cut side down grilling for 2 minutes. I turned them over and grilled for another 1 1/2 – 2 minutes.
This is what they looked like coming off the grill. When they had cooled, I diced up the avocado then scooped it out of its skin into a bowl. I diced up the remaining grilled items along with the leftover mango pieces and added them to the bowl. I squeezed the juice from 1 lime on top, then added 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves, a pinch of salt and a splash of olive oil and gave it all a quick stir.
And this was the result. Watch out – it’s addictive! Enjoy!
- 1 avocado halved and seeded with skin left on
- 1 mango peeled and sliced down flat side of seed into 2 large slices
- 2 thick slices red onion
- 1 jalapeno stem and seeds removed then butterflied so it lies flat
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- ¼ teaspoon New Mexico chile powder
- 1 lime juiced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- pinch of salt
- Brush the avocado, mango, onion and jalapeno with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle them with them with the chile powder. Heat a grill to medium high then place them cut side down on the grill. Cook for 2 minutes then turn and grill another 1½ - 2 minutes. Remove and let cool. Dice the avocado in its skin then scoop out into a bowl. Dice the mango, onion and jalapeno and add to the bowl. Add the other ½ tablespoon olive oil along with the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Cool in the fridge slightly until ready to serve.