Share and Enjoy
I had the best of intentions. I told my wife I would make her favorite breakfast for this morning, but life got in the way and by the time I was ready to get to it she was ready to leave. I kissed her goodbye and drove my daughter to her preschool. When I got back, I still had some time before I had to pick up my son from a friends house and decided to make it anyways. Sorry Honey-and it was good! I’m dead now.
So I got the things I needed; bacon, eggs, avocado, tomato, butter and vinegar. This comes together very fast and the 25 minutes I had until I had to pick up my son gave me more than enough time to fry the bacon, poach the egg and make the hollandaise-because I cheat. I made the hollandaise in the blender and poached the egg in the microwave. Enough talking; let’s get cooking. Enjoy!
The first thing I did was get 2 slices of thick bacon in a fry pan over medium high heat to cook and render the fat about 8 minutes. While the bacon was frying, I separated 2 egg yolks into a bowl and added 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice to another. I microwaved 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) of good quality unsalted butter unyil completely melted and very hot.
While the butter was melting, I cut 2 slices of tomato, halved and sliced an avocado and drained the bacon on paper towels.
I split an English muffin and popped it in the toaster then got to my hollandaise. I ran hot water on the outside of the glass blender jar to warm it up and then dried it. I added the egg yolks and lemon juice to the blender and gave it a whirl. I left the motor running and slowly drizzled in the hot melted butter until emulsified. I tasted and added a pinch of salt and couple pinches of cayenne pepper and pulsed the blender to combine.
I poured 1/2 cup warm water along with 1/2 teaspoon distilled vinegar into small glass bowl and gently cracked an egg into it making sure it was completely under water. These aren’t going to win a beauty contest for best looking poached egg, but they’re fast. I’ve found that in my microwave it takes 1 minute and 8 seconds to poach and get the whites set. This may take few to get just right, but it should be between 1 minute and 1 minute 10 seconds.
I layed a slice of bacon on the English muffin, then layered on the tomato, avoacado, the poached egg and poured the hollandaise over. I had just enough time to enjoy this before I had to leave to get my son. Enjoy!
- 2 slices of thick bacon
- 2 egg yolks
- 1½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- couple pinches of cayenne pepper
- 2 slices tomato
- ½ avocado sliced and peeled
- 1 English muffin split and toasted
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ teaspoon distilled vinegar
- Fry the bacon over medium high heat until done then drain on paper towels. While the bacon is cooking, separate the 2 egg yolks into a small bowl. Juice ½ a lemon and reserve 1½ tablespoons of the juice to a small bowl. Slice the tomato and avocado. Add the butter to a microwave safe cup with a pour spout and heat in the mocrowave until melted and bubbling hot.
- Heat the blender jar by running the outside under hot water and dry thoroughly. Add the egg yolks and lemon juice and blend until combined. With the motor running, slowly drizzle the hot butter in and blend until emulsified. Season with the salt and cayenne and pulse to combine.
- Pour ½ cup water into a small microwave safe glass bowl. Add the vinegar and then slowly crack an egg into the water making sure it's completely covered. Microwave on high for 1min 5 seconds or until the whites just set. With a slotted spoon remove the egg and briefly drain on paper towels. Repeat with the other egg.
- To assemble, on each slice of muffin layer 1 slice of bacon broken in two, 1 slice of tomato, ½ of the avocado slices, the poached egg and then pour some sauce over the top.